For reasons not worth going into, I was looking up city nicknames today and came across some rather bizarre ones. The best ones are mostly in the midwest. Some of my favorites:
- The Birmingham of America: Pittsburgh, PA – Shouldn’t this honor go to, oh, I don’t know… Birmingham?
- Hog Butcher for the World: Chicago, IL – Yeah, ’cause that’s what I think of when I think of Chicago.
- The Icebox of the United States: International Falls, MN – Ironically, I’ve only been there in the summer when it wasn’t all that cold. But Frostbite Falls of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame was modeled after International Falls.
- Mistake on the Lake: Cleveland, OH – It even rhymes. How cute.
- Band Instrument Capital of the World: Elkhart, IN – I guess someone has to take that title.
- The Catfish Capital of Iowa: Linn Grove, IA – Belzoni, MS already took the title for Catfish Capital of the World, so poor Linn Grove had to settle for whatever it could get.
- The City That Refused To Die: Sanford, ME – Hey, Dustin, aren’t you from there?
- Cow Chip Capital: Beaver, OK – What kind of city would proudly nickname itself after dried shit?
- Goat Ropin’ Capital of the World: Gotebo, OK – The next time I want to rope me some goats, I know where to go.
- Home of the World’s Largest Cheeto: Algona, IA – It looks like a cancerous growth.