I’m a little late, but it was State Fair time again… I left my camera at the cabin, so the only photo I have is one taken with my phone of a calf just after being born. Moo.
I went to the fair twice this year. The first time was with my sister on a slightly rainy Tuesday. We arrived early in the morning (8:30-ish) and got in as much as we could before I went to work at the milk booth for the second year in a row. As we were heading in, the ticket takers offered us a map.
“Do we want one?” I asked my sister.
“We could,” she said, “Or we could just rely on the fact that we’ve been coming here for over 25 years and we have the place memorized.”
“Right,” I said, “Let’s go with the second option.”
And into the fair we went, eating in chronological order…
- Deep fried pickles — a breakfast of champions, including all three varieties (regular, gourmet (with cream cheese), and cajun)
- Sarsaparilla — not root beer, the real stuff (Anne passed)
- Deep fried cheese curds — from the Mouse Trap
- Strawberry banana smoothie — Actually, this was just Anne
- Sunflower honey ice cream — made with real Minnesota honey
- French Fries — World’s Greatest, so says the sign
- Brownie — The brownies used to be by the milk stand, and Anne and I reminisced about when they used to be breakfast
- Free water from the WCCO booth — They no longer carry Twins games, but they still give away free water at the fair
- Lots of milk — poured by yours truly
- The best chocolate malt in the world from the Dairy Barn, given gratis for my milk booth shift — Anne missed out on this
- Hotdish on a stick — It’s not that I like it because it’s delicious, but because it’s ridiculous
- Corn dog — Okay, just my mom, but I had a bite
- French Fries — Again, the World’s Greatest!
- Frozen Key Lime Pie on a Stick — Dipped in chocolate!
- Virgin pina colada served in a real pineapple — These were $9 each or two for $10, so unexpectedly getting one for my mom seemed like a no brainer. She was a little perplexed when I showed up with one for her.
- A big tub of taffy — We didn’t actually eat this at the fair, but delivered it to my dad (and I had a few at home)
- A big bucket of Sweet Martha’s Chocolate Chip Cookies…
- … and another glass of milk.