Every year, the American Film Institute releases it’s list of the top 100 something-related-to-movies of all time. This past year it was songs, with “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” topping the list. For the upcoming year, they’ve announced that their list will be “100 years… 100 movie quotes,” and the 400 quotes on the ballot are listed here.
Not surprisingly, Casablanca, one of my favorite movies, has the most candidates with 7. But surprisingly (at least to me), “… maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life,” is not one of them. On the other hand, looking at the Casablanca quotes that are nominated, I’d only want to remove “Play it, Sam. Play ‘As Time Goes By.'” While this is the direct quote from the movie, the line everyone remembers, which was never actually spoken, is “Play it again, Sam.”
Other highlights of the list that amused, surprised, or delighted me…
- “I’ll have what she’s having.” – When Harry Met Sally
- “But I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie.” – When Harry Met Sally
- “There’s no crying in baseball!” – A League of Their Own
- “You’ll shoot your eye out!” – A Christmas Story
- “The pellet with the poison’s in the vessel with the pestle. The chalice with the palace has the brew that is true.” – A Court Jester
- “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” – The Wizard of Oz
- “Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here. This is the war room.” – Dr. Strangelove
- “It isn’t that I don’t like you, Susan, because after all, in moments of quiet, I’m strangely drawn toward you; but, well, there haven’t been any quiet moments!” – Bringing Up Baby
- “These go to eleven.” – This is Spinal Tap
- “There’s a name for you ladies, but it isn’t used in high society — outside of a kennel.” – The Women
- “Surely, you can’t be serious!” “I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.” – Airplane!
- “One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don’t know.” – Animal Crackers